How to Make Money Reskinning Apps: Strategies that Still Work?
The mobile app market is big and a lot of researchers believe that it is still not nearing saturation point – the mobile app market is still growing. The monetization potential is still there ( i Still make 6 digits each year with mobile apps and NO CODING SKILLS 🙂 ) but a lot of strategies used to make money building apps two or three years ago no longer work. The mobile app market is ever evolving; app developers and marketers can’t do anything about this but to adapt.
These days, advertisements are still the most popular monetization model for mobile apps. Advertisements still work, so does in-app purchases and subscriptions. What changed are the strategies in the implementation of these 3 app monetization models. If you want to make money reskinning apps, you need to take note of these strategies:
- Make advertisements work for your app. It is estimated that by 2020, mobile app advertising will garner a total revenue of $53.4 billion per year. This will be approximately 63% of the total advertising revenue derived from mobile. This means that there aren’t a shortage of advertisers. The issue lies on how much each advertiser is going to spend in a month. Are they willing to pay more or less? Most of the time, this depends on the ad network. Don’t just stick on one advertising network just because it is familiar. Conduct a research to establish your ad network’s performance compared to others. Also, focus on driving more downloads on your app. The ad network you use won’t matter if your app isn’t consistently gaining downloads.
- Diversify your in-app purchases. The creation of more in-app purchases is great app monetization strategy in hindsight. The number doesn’t increase the probability of the items being bought, though, but the necessity for the items. Try different pricing and item type combinations and variations. Regularly conduct an A/B test for in-app purchases and market your in-app items as you would market real-life commodities.
- Venture into a subscription model. The freemium model is all well and good but the subscription model is a much more reliable business model. They say that subscription is the future of app monetization. There’s one big catch though: your app should be the right type of app for the subscription model. Your app should either provide an ongoing content or service (cloud and content-based apps are perfect examples). Next, your pricing tiers should be competitive and flexible. You can offer it an upgrade after a free trial to be paid weekly, monthly, or annually. Show users that they have options and that each optionis to their advantage.
These strategies work, but the first thing you should consider is that if it would be right for your app. A lot of users complain about advertisements popping up during inopportune moments or the app being almost unusable without in-app purchases. Don’t just settle on copying what works for other apps, being assured that their strategy is a “make money reskinning apps” guaranteed formula. Tailor-fit your app monetization strategy. Envision how, as a user, can you benefit from tapping an ad, purchasing an in-app item, or buying an app subscription?
How to Make Sure that Your App Monetization Strategies Work ?
Having the best app monetization strategy isn’t the only factor in the success of an app. Most of the time, it’s a matter of platform choice (1) and the choice of the app itself (2).
Choosing the Right Platform for Your App (Android vs iOS development) :
Advantages and Disadvantages of the iOS Platform :
iOS app developers tend to earn more than their Android counterparts. Aside from that, there are other advantages to the popular platform:
- High-value users (high income, high engagement, and high spend per app).
- Shorter testing and development cycle times because of users’ high adoption rates of latest OS version.
- Advanced and stable tools.
Notable disadvantages include:
- Highly competitive platform resulting in high app rank volatility.
- Longer app review time ( you need to wait more than 48h to see your app live).
Advantages and Disadvantages of the Android Platform :
Android developers, in general, don’t earn as much as iOS app developers, but if you put this into an individual perspective, you will notice that many top earners in Android earn a lot.
- Higher market share.
- Built-in testing.
- Shorter app review time.
- Users are mostly from areas with lower income (this affects the LTV which in turn affects ad spend both directly and indirectly).
- High fragmentation rate with carriers’ low adoption rates of latest OS version.
- Longer app development cycle which makes the development cost 2-3x more than in iOS.
The advantages of a specific platform may outweigh all its disadvantages.The iOS vs Android development debate always ends up with the advice of starting with iOS and then branching out to Android. But the app monetization strategy you want to employ can also affect this decision.
You may want to target a wide range of users or a few high-value users. If you want the former, Android is the best choice. But if you want the latter, iOS users have higher app spend rates. There isn’t any assurance of monetary success on each platform though. Aside from the risk of not being able to make money reskinning apps, there’s also a risk that Apple would outright reject your reskinnedapp.
Choosing High-Quality Mobile App Templates :
The use of mobile app templates or source codes spares you the drudgery of creating mobile apps from scratch ( discover what is Reskinning and the easiest $100/day reskinning mobile apps ) . All you need to do afterward is rivet the design and add your app monetization strategies (admob ids, in-app, or subscription) and you’re good to go. Though this sounds straightforward, mobile app templates play a big role in the success of a reskinned app. This is the part where you’re supposed to save a lot of money compared to the traditional app development process. The quality of the mobile app template can also undermine the effectiveness of your app monetization strategies.
There are 2 main things about mobile app templates: where you buy it and how good it is ?
Where to buy app templates?
Straight from the source
This may sound ridiculous at first, but yes, some app developers do sell a license for the template or source codes of their apps that are still live in the App Store. Keep in mind that mobile app templates can be used to create an app totally different from the original. They just have the same backbone but are designed and packaged to be something else.
You can search the App Store for apps with functions you can use for the type of app you want to develop. Apps published by independent developers are the best candidates but make sure that the said app developer is indeed the owner of the mobile app template and not just someone who bought it from somewhere. Most marketplaces (see more about app template marketplaces in the next item) have licensing restrictions and rules. One of these restrictions is the re-selling of the mobile app template “as-is”; meaning you can’t re-sell the app template license you bought as another app template. Most app developers would be honest about this. A lot of apps, especially game apps are easily identifiable as reskins though, especially clones of popular games so you’ll know beforehand that the app was made from a template.
You need not ask the app developer directly about this. You can just state that if it is possible for you to buy a license of the template. You then need to clarify that you won’t be competing with the app developer (in the same category at least). Be prepared to be denied and ignored. So you need to have a list with at least five of more developers to approach just in case. Most developers that would answer are programmers or amateur app developers that have no knowledge on how to make money reskinning apps.
As stated above, mobile app template marketplaces have licensing restrictions and rules. These rules change from marketplace to marketplace but commonly, there are two licensing options: single and multiple licenses. Learn the pros and cons of selecting one licensing option over the other. Other things you should also take note when buying from mobile app template marketplaces are:
- If the template is up to date. Check if the template is compatible with the OS version you are developing for.
- If the original developer is the owner of the template. This is to ensure that you can receive support for any issues on the template.
- Availability of a refund policy.
- Availability of buyer reviews.
The best mobile app source code marketplaces i personally use are :
Template bundles and free offers :
Freebies. Who doesn’t like them, right? There are websites where you can receive complimentary mobile app templates once you signup from their online courses. But if you aren’t interested in these courses, there are also bundles and kits that may include not only mobile app templates but also design elements, mockups, and even optimized landing pages.
if you have a basic coding skills you can get great source codes from github and similar websites as well FOR FREE 🙂
The Perfect Mobile App Templates :
Consistent and familiar. This goes hand in hand since design consistency builds up familiarity that in turn makes users comfortable in your app’s UI. It’s also a big plus if your app’s template matches with the aesthetics and layout of your app website or landing page.
Highly customizable. The mobile app source code for reskinning apps should be easy to edit and customize to suit your specific needs. One of the best options is a template with a drag-and-drop editor ( mainly html5 builders ). Templates with drag-and-drop editors are easy to work with even without expert help.
Easy Navigation. This has to do with the layout of the mobile app template. Navigation buttons should be easily accessible and properly laid out. You can easily determine this through how the drop-down menus are arranged and designed. Each menu should be contextual to its parent menu.
There are more criteria but most of the time, you won’t be able to see what you will get when you buy templates from marketplaces. You won’t be able to see what individual screens look and assess the quality of user experience brought on by the screen flow. There should be due diligence in researching for apps that use the same source code (if these apps are still live in the App Store).
At the end of the day, it’s the way you implement your app monetization strategy that can have you make money reskinning apps. It’s not just about “what” your app monetization strategy is, but “how” you make use of it. A lot may say that the mobile app bubble had already burst and that you can no longer make money reskinning apps 0 coding SKILLS And market it. This may be the case, but this doesn’t spell the end of the mobile app market. The market had just matured and the competition became harder. You can’t just wing it anymore. If you don’t have a strong strategy in mind, your mobile app would be drowned in the flood of competition.
- Adplexity Coupon Code $80 Off and Walkthrough - September 23, 2019
- SiteGround vs GoDaddy: WordPress Hosting Comparison - September 13, 2019
- SiteGround vs Inmotion: WordPress Hosting Benchmark - August 31, 2019